Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Sausage and Broccoli Rabe Risotto

My father bought me a couple of Cook Books, he know that I usually don't use them but I thanked him for the gift and took them. One was a Weight Watchers Take-Out book, the other was the secret of the big chain restuarnts, (it's the all the secret ingredients...woohoo!!)

So after going through the books I found something that interested me, Sausage and Broccoli Rabe Risotto, I love Broccoli Rabe, it's one of my fav's so I figured I would try to make it.

So it was todays lunch.

Here's the recipe, hope everyone enjoys it as much as we did.

I tweaked the recipe a bit, so it wasn't exactly the same as what's in the book.

3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 tbs olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 1/4 cups Arborio rice
1/3 cup dry white wine
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup chopped, fresh, flat-leaf parsley
1/2 lb Italian turkey sausage, hot or sweet, casing removed and sausage crumbled (I used 1 lb SWEET Italian turkey sausage)
1/2 bunch broccoli rabe, rinsed and chopped



To make the risotto, bring the broth to a boil in a medium saucepan, then lower the heat to keep the broth at a simmer.

Heat the oil in a large, nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3-5 minutes. Add the rice and cook until the outer shell is lightly toasted, 2-3 minutes.

Add the wine, pepper, and 1/2 cup of the broth and stir until the liquid is absorbed. Continue to add the broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until it is absorbed before adding more. The cooking time from the first addition of broth should be 20-24 minutes. If you need to, heat and add more broth. Stir in the parsley.


Stir the sausage and broccoli rabe into the risotto and serve.

Now here's my little trick. I hate doing dishes, so for me this was a one pot meal. I used a large skillet and sauteed the sausage and rabe 1st. Then cooked the risotto in the same pot. It gave the risotto a little extra flavor, the water and wine deglazed the skillet and that all meant less cleanup.

Sorry, no pictures, but I was trying to clean up a little and my husband got into the pan before I got the chance to take a picture.

At least I know he enjoyed it, and we can add it to the list of what to cook, instead of the what not to cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment